• Hello User,
    Do you want to help the community in more ways than being an active member? If so, please think about applying to become a DarkRP Staff Member. Click Here
  • Hello User,
    Do you want to help the community in more ways than being an active member? If so, please think about applying to become a PoliceRP Staff Member. Click Here

POLICE ROLEPLAY Poor experience on PoliceRP server

empireOS

Hey guys just wanted to detail for you a pretty poor experience I had while playing on the server a couple of days ago (TL;DR at the bottom for those who haven't the time/will to read a long post).

I saw that you guys have been posting about population issues on the server as of late, with staff encouraging people to get on and play. Knowing, of course, that RP only works if people are participating, I decided to jump on and participate.

At first (roughly 20:00 GMT+1), things were about as good as my earlier play session, with some car chases, roadside arrests and controlled shootout situations going on. Pretty easy for anyone to participate and about what you would expect from a PoliceRP server.

However, a few hours later (and I think the population had taken a bit of a nosedive at this point), the quality of the experience began degrading. Actual roleplay seemed to be getting replaced with people running out of spawn as Mercenary (?) job and throwing some kind of explosive on the ground at any Police Officers who were nearby.

This resulted in a lot of deaths without any sort of RP situation preceding them other than "you're Police and I'm not, now you die". I'm not sure what your rules dictate about the expected conduct of this job. To be honest with you, whether or not they were within their right to act as they did is irrelevant to me as it created a poor player experience and hindered roleplay from taking place.

What really irked me about this situation was that I was on a ridealong with a member of staff at the time and asked them "Are they allowed to do that? Are we able to shoot them for it? I don't know what's going on." to which they basically told me that they're just as confused but nothing can be done about it because one of the players in question was a higher ranking staff member.

To put this into context; When I first joined the server, I wasn't too bothered about following along with the roleplay. After a few FailRP infractions, I was told that I need to RP properly or that I would be dismissed from PD. Completely understandable - you guys are running a semi-serious RP server and FailRP ruins that experience for those participating properly.

But then to see that the staff, whose role is to ensure that the RP environment isn't disrupted, actively preventing RP from taking place themselves... Well, you can see why this would make for a poor experience for a player who days ago was under threat of punishment for similar acts. One rule for certain people, another rule for everyone else is what springs to mind.

Now I completely understand the principle of bending the rules to jump-start an interesting RP scenario when the server population is low. I think that's a responsible decision to take (in moderation) to protect the long-term integrity of the server.

However, there's a big difference between that and blowing up players with less powerful weapons over and over again, leaving them confused as to what happened and, frankly, a bit frustrated. This is further supported by the fact that after roughly 30 minutes, this situation stopped and I spent the next hour practicing driving on a mostly empty server before logging off due to boredom (this is a game after all).

I haven't written any names here, because I'm not trying to get people into trouble. I'm sure that the individuals involved are good staff members who didn't have the intention of ruining players' experiences. I'm writing this solely in the hopes that this can be noted as something which is happening, hopefully in agreement that it is problematic, and that steps can be taken to prevent it in the future.

[TL;DR]: Staff killing players repeatedly without RP context makes for a bad experience.

Ranso

Hello empire if i am correct the killing part took place during a swat training, we had multiple players setup a base for us and we continued with breach training. Most of the killing was from when we breached each building and started a gunfight within the building. For us as the SWAT Team we need to do mandatory training's like this. I hope this explains the reasoning behind the shootings That is if this was the correct situation

empireOS

Hi Ranso,

I don't believe this was the same situation.

I vaguely remember some shooting taking place involving SWAT beforehand (this also coincided with raids taking place on the bank), but afterwards there were not any SWAT present and, as detailed, there were Mercenaries coming straight out of spawn and throwing explosives at normal Police.

I should also add that this took place outside of the Nexus on the street, whereas if I'm recalling correctly, the SWAT situations took place in the apartment buildings.

Hey guys just wanted to detail for you a pretty poor experience I had while playing on the server a couple of days ago (TL;DR at the bottom for those who haven't the time/will to read a long post).

I saw that you guys have been posting about population issues on the server as of late, with staff encouraging people to get on and play. Knowing, of course, that RP only works if people are participating, I decided to jump on and participate.

At first (roughly 20:00 GMT+1), things were about as good as my earlier play session, with some car chases, roadside arrests and controlled shootout situations going on. Pretty easy for anyone to participate and about what you would expect from a PoliceRP server.

However, a few hours later (and I think the population had taken a bit of a nosedive at this point), the quality of the experience began degrading. Actual roleplay seemed to be getting replaced with people running out of spawn as Mercenary (?) job and throwing some kind of explosive on the ground at any Police Officers who were nearby.

This resulted in a lot of deaths without any sort of RP situation preceding them other than "you're Police and I'm not, now you die". I'm not sure what your rules dictate about the expected conduct of this job. To be honest with you, whether or not they were within their right to act as they did is irrelevant to me as it created a poor player experience and hindered roleplay from taking place.

What really irked me about this situation was that I was on a ridealong with a member of staff at the time and asked them "Are they allowed to do that? Are we able to shoot them for it? I don't know what's going on." to which they basically told me that they're just as confused but nothing can be done about it because one of the players in question was a higher ranking staff member.

To put this into context; When I first joined the server, I wasn't too bothered about following along with the roleplay. After a few FailRP infractions, I was told that I need to RP properly or that I would be dismissed from PD. Completely understandable - you guys are running a semi-serious RP server and FailRP ruins that experience for those participating properly.

But then to see that the staff, whose role is to ensure that the RP environment isn't disrupted, actively preventing RP from taking place themselves... Well, you can see why this would make for a poor experience for a player who days ago was under threat of punishment for similar acts. One rule for certain people, another rule for everyone else is what springs to mind.

Now I completely understand the principle of bending the rules to jump-start an interesting RP scenario when the server population is low. I think that's a responsible decision to take (in moderation) to protect the long-term integrity of the server.

However, there's a big difference between that and blowing up players with less powerful weapons over and over again, leaving them confused as to what happened and, frankly, a bit frustrated. This is further supported by the fact that after roughly 30 minutes, this situation stopped and I spent the next hour practicing driving on a mostly empty server before logging off due to boredom (this is a game after all).

I haven't written any names here, because I'm not trying to get people into trouble. I'm sure that the individuals involved are good staff members who didn't have the intention of ruining players' experiences. I'm writing this solely in the hopes that this can be noted as something which is happening, hopefully in agreement that it is problematic, and that steps can be taken to prevent it in the future.

[TL;DR]: Staff killing players repeatedly without RP context makes for a bad experience.
If your wanting something done I'd recommend putting the "staff members" names down on this Detailed description.

empireOS

I'm here only to raise this as being an issue so that the people who run the server can be aware of it and that it is affecting the gameplay. I'm not here to name and shame and try to get people in trouble or have their staff privileges taken away.

I see you've found it quite funny though given the reaction emoji you've put on the original post and also your message in Discord. I'm not sure what's particularly funny about people affecting the experience of newer players, however. Surely the primary aim of a community is to obtain quality new members who can bring something unique to the table?

CJYaBoi

Without doing your so-called "Name and shame", management cannot find who is doing what, monitor their activities, and go based off of that. Also, towards the night time when there is very little people on, players will begin to break role-play. No matter how much staff say "There is no downtime, role-play at all times", its just nature for them to get bored and kill each-other. There is a solid chance the Mercenaries were friends with the cops they were killing. If not then the mercenaries would've been banned for mass RDM. If you are not here to tell management about the staff and/or high staff not knowing what they are doing or ruining role-play, then this is just a venting Reddit post. Without telling names then that's all it is. Yes, of course Austin found it funny, because this post is doing nothing to fix the problem, except mildly point our the tip of the ice-berg that everyone knew was there, but no one has wanted to give a detailed description on a way to fix it, and no more than 1 player at a time would see it as a "hindrance to their amazing roleplay", on a server that is semi-serious. Also, minges are a thing. Good chance you ran into a group of some, and if you don't want to point out THEIR names either then this entire post is useless. Don't just point out something that could be changed, make a change.

Ansely

Forum & Discord Trial Moderator

Forum & Discord Trial Moderator
My guy why you written a whole fuckin essay